Thursday, May 27, 2010

Putting it out there...

It's gone from unseasonably cold temps to hot-as-hell temps in the matter of a few days.  Yesterday we got above 90 and I was miserable.  Too hot too soon!  Give me 80 and sunny with a slight breeze and I'm a happy camper.  Sweltering heat, high humidity and zero air movement does not make me a happy girl.  At any rate, the warmer temps obviously require a change in wardrobe, which I will admit that most of my Spring/Summer wardrobe is still packed away in storage boxes at the top of my closet.  I've been putting it off.  Going through all the clothes I haven't had on my body in about a year is not going to be fun, it's not going to be pretty, and it's probably going to produce a few tears.  Bottom line: I've gained weight. 

We keep a small notebook on our scale and everytime we weigh ourselves we jot down the date and our weight.  We don't do it on any sort of time frame, just when the mood strikes.  We do however try to stick to the same time of day: morning.  Today I got on, closed my eyes, said a quick prayer, then opened them to see an ugly number staring back at me.  How did this happen?  Well, I can tell you how it happened...too many sweets and snacks.  I also think another factor was my husband being unemployed for a year.  No, I'm not looking for excuses, I'm just keeping it real.  We used food for comfort.  We didn't "do" much as far as activities just because we didn't have the extra cash to spend...so most times we'd stay home, which led to being bored, which then led to snacking.  Yes, we could have done free activities like biking, walking, hiking, etc., but to be honest I think we were both dealing with a bit of depression (my husband more than myself) which really didn't help to motivate us.  It made us crave wanting to be home and comfortable.  At the time we just did what we wanted to do to keep a balance of sanity.  Obviously, in hind sight, getting "out there" probably would have been the better thing to do.  It would have pushed those depressing thoughts away and definitely would have helped our waistlines.  Now that the hubster is back to work (yesterday marked his one month anniversary!  whoo hoo!) and morale is a bit higher...AND we're hoping to actually take a vacation late this Summer...we need to tackle this problem.

So today I weighed myself and wrote it down.  Today I'm making a vow to really do it this time.  I'm going to eat better and exercise more...or I should say we.  WE are going to eat better and exercise more.  My handy-dandy weight notebook tells me I was 10 lbs. lighter on May 24th of 2008.  That is my goal, to get back to that weight.  No, I'm not going to admit to everyone out there in blogland exactly what the number is, I just know that for me it's a good weight for me to be at.  Some may be saying, "10 lbs.?!  That's not horrible over the span of two years."  For me, it is.  I'm barely 5 foot tall, even an extra 5 lbs. is too much on my frame...10 is just taking it to a whole new level. 

If I can lose 3 lbs. per month I can meet my goal by the time we head to the beach.  That's do-able.  It's all about watching my calories, upping my water in-take, and being more active.  I CAN do this.  I WILL do this.  Blogland, hold me to it.

I will update in one month :)

2 comments:

  1. I think you look great if its any consolation. But if ten pounds is what you need to feel that way for yourself I know you can do it. I need to get motivated myself too. My problem is coming home, being hungry and not having the time to prepare a "proper" meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! Let's just say that clothes hide a lot. I rem. how good I felt about myself around the time we were doing our kitchen reno. and I lost all that weight because I was too lazy to go down to the basement to our makeshift kitchen to get food, lol. I want to feel like that again. So far I'm doing ok...I'm still allowing myself a free day once a week and tracking my food on Sparkpeople.com. The key for me is to stay buy though...the less I think about food!

    ReplyDelete