Tuesday, May 11, 2010

10 Products I Can't Live Without

I have a bunch of relatively inexpensive "health & beauty" items that I can't live without...items that I use everyday (or almost everyday) that I would probably cry a river over if they were ever discontinued.  I'll probably jinx myself by mentioning these items now, but oh well, it's bound to happen anyway.  Everything I ever really like ends up being discontinued.  By now I'm used to it.  Not ever happy about it, but used to it.  At any rate, on with it...

Bath & Body Works Anti-Bacterial Hand Lotion, which they now call HandiBac...um, ok.  I actually haven't purchased any of this for myself in a very loooong time, hence not being aware of the "new" name.  I usually get a bunch as Christmas gifts or birthday gifts, so I tend to have a little stash built up.  I always have some in my purse because I need hand lotion a lot throughout the day, especially after washing them, otherwise they feel like sandpaper...not a good feeling.  So I mainly use it for the moisturization factor, but the anti-bac feature is great too since you never know if/when you won't have hand-washing facilities near you.  My favorite scent is the cucumber melon because it's pretty universal, I'd say, and not super "girly" so the hubster can use it if he wants/needs to.  I feel like these are always on sale, at least 2 for $5 if not better.


Softlips!  Oh my word, how I love Softlips.  The vanilla is by far my favorite flavor.  I used to love and use the mint too, but I haven't been able to find any in a very long time...and now as I look on their site I see it's not listed...must have discontinued it, see, story of my life.  The reason I love these is because they go on so nice, feel amazing, make your lips look super soft and it tastes good.  Plus, the tube is super skinny and I can tuck one in my back pocket and you'd never know it was there.  They always come in a two-pack and they're around $3-$4-ish?  It's been a while since I bought any of these too, I usually buy a few packs at once (sometimes I find coupons!) and they really last a long time.

Next up, Blistex, regular old Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment in the white tube.  I put this on after I shower in the morning and after I wash my face at night before bed.  I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to it.  If I don't have it with me (when traveling or what have you) it throws my whole "routine" off, really.  This blurb is from their website:  Beauty professionals also routinely use Blistex Lip Ointment to return a smooth texture to lips before applying lip color. When using as a lipstick base, apply liberally and leave on lips for five minutes.  So after I brush my teeth and moisturize my face, I slap some of this on and let it sink in while I put on my makeup or while I sleep.  Love this stuff!  Again, I typically use a coupon and get two for a few bucks.

Another lip product, this one I use as my everyday lipstick/lipgloss, neither of which it's actually classified as.  It's Avon Slick Tint for Lips in Glossy Opal.  I love, love, love a frosty pink and this is just about perfect for me.  And they're only 99 cents!!!  I have a few of these in my purse, a few in my makeup bag, and then a few stashed away.  It doesn't give much, if any, moisture to my lips, but I usually put it on over my Blistex in the morning or my Softlips while I'm out and about.  Like I said, I use this as my "lipstick" so it's more about the color over moisture.  I'd really be lost without it.

 

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment...whew!  So the title is long-winded but the actual product is awesome.  The active ingredient is 2% salicylic acid, and I credit it (along with the Clinique 3-step, and my new BFF the Clarisonic) with keeping my skin clear, or clearer I should say.  I love that it treats my breakouts (and stops others from forming) without having to dry out my skin, it gives the perfect amount of moisture for overnight and makes my skin feel so soft.  I've noticed it being a bit harder to find as of late...I pray they're not discontinuing it!!!  This varies between $6-$8 depending on where I find it, sometimes I get lucky and it will be on sale at CVS.


CoverGirl Clean Pressed Powder...this is another item that's always in my purse.  A must-have for any touch-ups needed throughout the day, and they just introduced an oil-control version which I'm planning on picking up ASAP.  Cheap, and does the job.  About $6 or $7 I think (it's been a while since I had to buy this too), but CVS and Rite Aid frequently have BOGO free sales on CoverGirl products or you can almost always find a coupon.  I'm sure you all know what this compact looks like (although they did just redesign it I think, still pretty much the same though) since it's a classic.

St. Ives Naturally Clear Blemish & Blackhead Apricot Scrub is my go-to exfoliator.  Actually, just the regular St. Ives Apricot Scrub was my go-to, until I discovered the Naturally Clear version over a year ago.  The new version contains 2% salicylic acid to help with blemishes, and any help I can get in that category I'm all for.  I use this towards the end of my shower (best to give the pores time to open up) about 3-4 times a week.  Now that I'm using the Clarisonic, I'll probably try to cut it down to 2-3 times a week, but I kind of just know when I'm due to exfoliate by the way my skin feels so I may just do it as my skin dictates.  Between $4 and $5.


Dove Ultimate go fresh Cool Essentials in cucumber and green tea scent is my deodorant of choice.  It smells clean and works great...and I sweat...a lot.  TMI, probably.  I find this scent stays with me all day too, which is nice.  It also doesn't transfer onto my clothes, a HUGE selling point for me.  I know a ton of other deodorants out there claim to not get all over your tops, but I find this one truly delivers.  Another plus is it doesn't dry out my underarms as much as others I've tried.  So... super effective, non-irritating, doesn't get all over my clothes, and smells great.  Check, check, check and check.


This next product I don't use everyday, sometimes not even once a week, but it's still a product I can't live without: Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo.  I have oily hair and I also use styling products every day, over time it can build-up and weigh my hair down.  When it starts to feel gross I'll use this shampoo and it gives me new hair ;)  I love the smell too.  Because I only use it once a week or less, it lasts forever...I think it's about $8 for the larger sized bottle.


Pond's Cold Cream is what I use to remove eye makeup residue.  I know it's bad to not use a specific "eye makeup remover" before washing my face every night...but I just can't get into that routine.  I own a Clinique and a Mary Kay eye makeup remover, and they both work great, I just prefer to use the Pond's.  After I wash my face, I use a q-tip with the slightest amount of cold cream to gently remove any stray eyeliner or mascara left around my eyes.  It doesn't irritate at all and it slightly moisturizes.  It's also great to have on hand to correct any makeup mistakes during application.  A small jar is around $5.


So those are probably my top 10, can't live without them, inexpensive, mostly available at a drugstore, products.  There are probably more, but I won't bore you.  Do you use any of these?  Any tried-and-true products you want to recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment