Monday, April 12, 2010

Got Ham?

Easter was one week ago as of yesterday, yet we still have enough leftover ham to potentially hold an Easter dinner do-over.  Why my mother-in-law insists on buying such a big ham is beyond me, but we're always stuck bringing some home.  I honestly don't mind having leftovers to nosh on over the days following a holiday, it's the sheer amount of leftovers that bothers me.  It's just the two of us.  If we ate this ham at lunch and dinner for a week straight, I think we'd STILL have a lot left.  Let's not even mention the fact that I still have a pretty good sized chunk of ham in my freezer from Christmas.  We're hammed out!

In an attempt to use some up, we tried out a new recipe for Individual Scalloped Potatoes with Ham from the Tasty Kitchen/Pioneer Woman.  We kind of improvised a bit because we used an 8 cup muffin tin, vs. the 12 cup muffin tin she used.  Overall it was easy, and the ingredients are simple.  However, they didn't turn out as muffin-like as I had hoped...mine kind of fell apart while removing them from the pan.  I think it was either from too much butter (although I felt I used less than what the recipe called for, weird) or moisture from the ham that made things too watery...perhaps it was a combo of the two?  I was kind of assuming the cheese would melt down better and help the layers stick together more, but I was wrong.  With a bit of tweaking, these could be amazing.  The flavors are all there for sure.

Some pics to share...but certainly not as nice as Ree's! 

(Please ignore my dirty oven...it's on the list for Spring cleaning!)





I think I'll file this recipe away in my arsenal and pull it out the next time I have some ham I need to use up ;)  It definitely has potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment