Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Farmer's Market Wednesdays

We have a decent sized Farmer's Market nearby that is open on Wednesdays only, year round, from 8am-8pm.  Of course we tend to only go when the weather is tolerable (not raining, super windy, freezing, or snowing) and we made our first trip of the season today!  It was so stinkin' hot (I think my car was reading 88 degrees), but we were really looking forward to it and couldn't wait to check out all the fresh produce.  Our goal is to get as much as we can with $20, that's our limit.  Most days we spend less and still come home with a ton of stuff.  Today we spent $19 and brought home: two containers of strawberries, a huge container of blueberries, a big bunch of bananas, a small bushel of grapefruit, grapes, a small bushel of baby white potatoes, a container of grape tomatoes, two bunches of green onions, and lastly, my FAVORITE - green beans!  We had a nice time walking around checking everything out and we even ran into my baby sister :)


Occasionally we'll switch it up and head about 40 mins. south to a different Farmer's Market which is also open Wednesdays only, year round, from 7am-7pm ...but this one also has another one of my favorite things, a flea market!  I love walking around and looking at all the "stuff", you never know if you'll stumble upon a treasure or two.

My trusty side-kick (besides my husband usually), is my market basket, which was a birthday gift from my friend Jen a few years ago.  Best, and most-used, birthday gift ever!  And soooo pretty :)


I always get a lot of compliments and questions about it. It holds a ton and makes me feel good that I can forgo all the plastic bags from the vendors and just toss everything right into the basket. 

We didn't waste any time sampling our buys... for dinner, I steamed some green beans as a side to our grilled BBQ chicken and homemade potato salad, and then we had some strawberries for dessert.  So good :)  Can't wait 'til next week!

1 comment:

  1. Aww so glad you're still getting tons of use out of your market basket. I love mine too!

    ReplyDelete