Thursday, August 12, 2010

In a John Mayer state of mind...

Sorry for the delay but I'm still processing just how awesome the concert was.  It was incredible to say the least... mesmerizing... inspiring.  Oh, how I wish I could rewind and relive it.  I seriously want to become a groupie: traveling from city to city, tailgating all day, and jamming out every night.  That would be the life!

Tailgating was a whirlwind, but still lots of fun.  We laughed a ton while setting up the EZ Up tent (and thank God for it, it was hot!), laughed some more when we spotted some people we "knew" from the JM message boards, and then sat there dumbfounded as we watched a few groups of teenagers get busted for underage drinking and/or smoking an illegal substance.  Good times!  Before we knew it it was time to start packing it in, freshen up (although that proved to be futile with the heat and humidity) and then make our trek to the stadium to fetch our tickets.

Once we got inside we scoped out the merch tent where I spent way too much money on Silly Bandz (yes, I said Silly Bandz, and yes, I am an adult), then hit up one of the drink stands where I then spent way too much money on a margarita.  Finally we made our way to our seats just as Train was starting their set.  I, of course, was paying more attention to where my feet were stepping while trying not to spill my alcohol (priorities), but I remember someone telling me to "look up" and all I could say was "holy sh*t!"...I had never seen a stage that close before.  This was going to be good...

Train's set was incredible and Pat, the lead singer, is a true performer.  It was great to hear Meet Virginia, Hey Soul Sister and Drops of Jupiter live...amongst others.  They definitely held the crowd's attention and helped set the mood for the rest of the night.

At intermission we quickly hit the port-o-potties (remember everyone, green means go!) - big props to Jen for cluing us in on the private potties just for reserved seat ticket holders - followed by another stop at the drink stands to spend more money on alcohol (it's crazy what they charge) before heading back to our seats to wait.  Such anticipation!

And then... it started.  I think I could have fainted.  Maybe I did, I'm not sure, everything after that seems like a blur.  I tried my best to stay in the moment while also trying to capture some of it on my camera, text the hubster, post pics to Facebook and Tweet all at the same time.  My fingers sure got a work out! 

Overall the setlist was pretty awesome, but I will admit at the end of the show I felt a bit let down over what was missing... one song in particular that he's played at EVERY show on the tour thus far (the ONE song we all assumed was a given and wanted to hear so badly), he left out at our show, go figure.  I'll explain my feelings as this:  I love so many of John Mayer's songs, some I love so much they move me to tears, there is absolutely no way I'd ever be able to walk away from any of his concerts completely and totally satisfied unless he stood there and played his entire catalog of songs.  And that's the truth...a true JM fan understands. 

But now that I've downloaded the audio recording of the show and have listened to it a few (dozen) times, I can appreciate it more and realize just how terrific it really was.  In fact, the whole night was perfect.  Thank you to my girls for agreeing to go with me to our first ever JM show way back on July 21, 2007...and then taking time away from your babies to join me again this past February 21st and once more on August 5th.  I'm already looking forward to the next time...Lord knows it can't come soon enough!  Hmm, or maybe Mayercraft Carrier 3 experience?!  Who's with me?

And with that I'll leave you with some photos, enjoy!











Setlist:

Chest Fever (intro)
Bigger Than My Body
Heartbreak Warfare
Ain't No Sunshine
Vultures
War Of My Life
Perfectly Lonely
The Heart Of Life
No Such Thing (in fast forward)
Assassin
Gravity
Waiting On The World To Change
Do You Know Me
Why Georgia
Who Says (encore)
Half of My Heart (encore)





3 comments:

  1. omg, i love John Mayer. I'd like to go to one of his concerts too:D great pics!

    Carrie
    http://www.readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good times with my great friends. :) Thanks for sharing in the (unexpectedly extended!) anticipation leading up to the show. It was fun - annoying tweets and all!

    Thank YOU for turning me from a casual fan to an obsessed one.

    I'm serious when I say YES I am almost definitely with you for Mayercraft 3! Let's hope a haircut is in place before then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recap! It was another fun time and I also appreciate you getting me into JM.
    I'm missing out, what's Mayercraft 3?

    ReplyDelete