Thursday, July 15, 2010

Regretful Product Purchases

I miss blogging...sorry for the absence :(  However, it's Summer, and even though we really haven't been doing a ton of "fun" things, we have been enjoying being outside and relaxing together.  I think we've been out in the yard more this Summer than we have in any of the previous eight that we've lived here.  Nothing better than dining al fresco and enjoying an adult beverage in the warm evening air.  But onward to the point of my post... 

While cleaning and organizing my bathroom last week I came upon a few things that I've been using recently that I'm not really loving, but using anyway as to not be wasteful...things I will not repurchase once the bottle/tube/what-have-you is empty.  All of these are drugstore products, nothing that would break the bank, but it's still annoying to spend money on something and not be satisfied regardless of how much or how little it cost.  These are just my opinions, of course, so sorry if you use any of these and love them!

#1 L'Oreal Go 360 Clean Deep Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin  I normally use the Clinique 3-Step system when I wash my face at night before bed, but I like to keep something cheaper in the shower that the hubster and I can both use (he uses whatever I put in the shower, he's not picky).  I was initially intrigued by the little scrublet that comes w/ each bottle (which, btw, only I used...we didn't share, lol) and chose the sensitive skin version because I figured it would lesson the chance of it breaking me out.  It's a creamy cleanser and lathered extremely well, but it really dried me out!  I'm pretty oily, so usually a product that is a bit drying still works ok with my skin, but this was just too intense for me.  It made my face feel tight.  No good.  I did however LOVE the scrublet!  In fact, I kept it even after I tossed the empty bottle.  I think I paid $5 w/ a coupon.


#2 John Frieda Root Awakening Nourishing Moisture Shampoo  I have a lot of hair, but it's super fine which makes it pretty limp most times.  I normally reach for a volumizing shampoo, but those types of shampoos generally dry out your hair and blow out the follicle which in turns makes your hair appear fuller and more volumized.  Over time the volumizing shampoos started drying out my hair and my scalp especially, so I switched to a more moisturizing shampoo which I've found doesn't weigh down my hair like I assumed it would.  I saw this shampoo at Target and thought that maybe since it was geared towards healthy roots and contained eucalyptus it would help my scalp while adding more moisture into my hair.  Wrong!  While I love the smell, it really does nothing for me.  In fact, on days when I use this (I like to switch between shampoos and usually have two in my shower at all times) my ends appear so dried out like I'm in dire need of a trim or something.  And as far as it nourishing my scalp, I think it makes it feel tighter.  I'm still slowly making my way through the tube which seems to be taking forever!  The hubster doesn't even like it.  It's quite a shame since I've normally heard good things about John Frieda products...maybe I'll try something else of his down the line.  I think I paid about $7.


#3 Aussie Cleanse & Mend Shampoo  I picked this up at Walmart after I started using the John Frieda and I wanted something that would help my ends not look so dry.  This shampoo is supposed to gently, yet effectively cleanse your hair while softening and smoothing your ends.  Wrong again!  This seemed to dry my scalp out even more and really didn't do much for my ends at all.  Plus, I think it made my hair feel greasy at the roots as the day went on.  Overall, not good.  I was so glad to see this bottle get finished!  It was around $5...I guess you get what you pay for.


#4 Garnier Fructis Style Full Control Anti-Humidity Hairspray  Ugh, the humidity!  My hair turns to a gross, lifeless, sometimes frizzy, sometimes greasy, overall disgusting mess when it's humid.  On those days I have to go light on the hairspray otherwise it just adds to the cotton candy effect.  I saw this Garnier hairspray mentioned in a magazine ad and the "anti-humidity" sucked me in...it's supposed to provide hold even in 90% humidity.  Nope, not even close.  First of all, I went for the strongest hold I could find in this line and it provides no hold at all, even if it's not humid in the slightest.  It's been delegated to what I call "ponytail hairspray" meaning the spray I use to hold down fly-aways when I toss my hair up to do stuff around the house.  I think I paid $4 w/ a coupon at Walmart.  Save your money and don't bother.  It smells nice though.


#5 CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Blasting Waterproof Mascara  It pains me to not like this mascara since everyone raves about it!  I bought it in the black/brown shade and I think it's a great shade for my eye color and complexion, but the formula and brush are not my favorite combo.  The the little rubber bristles are supposed to coat every lash but I think they're way too short and stubby to properly do this.  And the mascara just clumps on to the brush.  When I pull it out of the tube, you can't even tell there are bristles, that's how much product is on the darn brush.  It takes me 5 minutes of wiping the brush along the edge of the tube to get enough product off so it doesn't clump up on my lashes.  The formula is also too wet...it may remedy itself as it gets a bit older and naturally dries out from air exposure, but until that happens, I'm struggling.  I've also had problems with it flaking as the day goes on and it is a PAIN to remove at night.  Even after eye makeup remover AND Pond's cold cream it's still hanging on.  I personally like waterproof mascaras for their staying power, but this is just ridiculous.  Overall, just too much work.  I bought this at CVS during a CG buy 1 get 1 half off sale...normally it's about $8 a tube, I think?


That's about it for the time being.  $30 worth of products I dislike :(  I'm sure there will more in the future... the hunt for the "best" products never ends!  Even when I find something I love I'm still on a quest for something better, does anyone else do that?  Why can't I just be satisfied once I find something that works and does what I want it to do?  One thing's for sure, it would be easier on my wallet!  Anything you've recently purchased that you wanted to love but didn't?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment